This is how I make a zippered pouch.
- cut top fabric and lining fabric the same size
(this one is about 10 1/2 by 7)
[I use light weight batting and quilt the top fabrics a little just to give the pouch a little shape]
- place zipper (right side down) to the right side of the top fabric and place the lining fabric right side down onto the zipper
be sure to line up the top of the front and lining to the top of the zipper and pin in place.
- sew zipper on using a zipper foot
- repeat on other side of the zipper
Once I sew zipper in I secure it by sewing a small seam on either side
- I add a small loop to the side of the pouch. sew loop onto right side of pouch like this ( use a scant 1/8th inch seam just to hold it in place)
....be careful not to attach it to the lining....
- unzip the zipper about 3/4 of the way then pin pouch and lining together and sew all the way around leaving an opening at the bottom of the lining so you can turn the pouch out once it is sewn together
- using a small square piece of cardboard ( this one is about 1 inch square), mark off all four corners on both sides of the top and lining
- pinch together corner and sew along the line
- clip off corners
-turn pouch right side out, sew the bottom of the lining closed and you are finished