Monday, June 23, 2014

Experimenting with a quilt pattern

I have made numerous quilts before now but I usually start with a pattern then tweak it to fit what I like.   A friend sent me a small picture of the corner of a quilt she liked and asked if I could figure out how to make it.  I studied the photo and came up with a simple crude pattern. Excuse the scribble look to this but this is the pattern I drew out.

Once I drew it out I figured out how many half square triangles I needed.  I used 4 inches to get a quilt that turned out to be about 50-60 inches square once it was made.   I had this fabric in my stash just waiting for the right project.  I bought some of every color of these roses. I also had just enough of the white on white roses to use as background fabric.

I used green in place of the orange in my pattern and this is what I came up with.

I hope to quilt it next week....I will post a finished quilt picture once I finish it.

Friday, June 13, 2014

Memory quilts complete

My friend and former neighbor lost her husband last year and I wanted to do something special for her.
She gave me a lot of his shirts and I made a memory quilt for her. It was something I had never done and it was a very emotional thing to cut up the shirts that I used to see him in everyday.  She wanted one for each of her children so I made those too!
I found some nice medium blue fabric to help with the designs I had in mind.

I hope she likes them! My DH held them up for me so I could take these pictures.

Friday, June 6, 2014

Quilted fractured quilt!

I finally finished quilting the fractured quilt top.
Here is a photo of the front....

I did loads of feathers all over the quilt.
Here is a picture of part of the back!